CPT: Meat Loaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans/Brussel Sprouts and Apple Pie Bake [Video]
It's official. We've had our first accumulated snowfall. Things are getting cold outside. Luckily, inside... they're heating up! Crock-Pot Thursday videos are back this week featuring a flavorful Meatloaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes (that seemed to melt faster than the snow...) Then, Charlotte made a truly extraordinary creation: the Apple Pie Bake.
Meat Loaf with Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans or Brussell Sprouts
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan. Add the onions, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the onions are translucent but not brown. Off the heat, add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chuck, onion mixture, bread crumbs, and eggs, and mix lightly with a fork. Don't mash or the meat loaf will be dense.
- Shape the mixture into a rectangular loaf on a sheet pan covered with parchment paper.
- Spread the ketchup evenly on top. Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees F and the meat loaf is cooked through. (Note: A pan of hot water in the oven, under the meat loaf, will keep the top from cracking.)
- Serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy of the Food Network.
Apple Pie Bake
Serves 4 - 6
- 2 packs cinnamon roll dough with icing
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 granny smith apples, diced
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°C.
- Cut the cinnamon roll dough into 3 even strips.
- Cut those strip in 3 pieces, making 9 pieces total per cinnamon roll. Set aside the icing.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, cinnamon, and extract, stirring until smooth. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, combine butter, apples, and brown sugar, cooking until sugar starts to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon roll dough pieces evenly in a 9×9 baking tray. Pour the egg mixture on top, followed by the apples. Drizzle the reserved icing on top.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Serve with ice cream!
Recipe Courtesy of BuzzFeed.