CPT: Crock-Pot Thursday Turns into a 'Peep' Show!
Today's Crock-Pot Thursday lunch was really more of a 'Peep' show - with these adorable Easter Garden Cakes! (Okay, there was a delicious slow cooked ham with a maple brown sugar glaze, with honey glazed carrots and sautéed asparagus and peas, too. They aren't as cute, though.)
Slow Cooker Ham with Maple Brown Sugar Glaze
- 7.5 pound unsliced, bone-in ham
- 1 cup of water
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Start by trimming excess fat and skin from the ham.
- Use a paring knife to slice a grid pattern into the ham.
- Add ham and 1 cup of water to slow cooker.
- Heat for 5-6 hours on low, until heated through.
- Remove ham from slow cooker and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Prepare glaze.
- Bring pure maple syrup, dark brown sugar, mustard, pepper and cornstarch to a boil.
- Let boil 2-3 minutes, whisking constantly until mixture starts to thicken.
- Let glaze cool for about 5 minutes.
- Pat ham dry and spoon glaze over ham.
- Heat ham under broiler 5-7 minutes until glaze has caramelized.
Recipe Courtesy of No. 2 Pencil.
Sautéed Asparagus and Peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 1 bunch thin asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces on a diagonal
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, ¼ teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring frequently so the shallots don't burn, for about 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Add the peas and honey and cook about one minute more until the peas are warmed through.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Once Upon a Chef.
Honey Glazed Baby Carrots
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (16-ounce) bag Grimmway Farms Baby Carrots
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add carrots, honey,brown sugar, dill and thyme and gently toss to combine.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.*
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Damn Delicious.
Easter Garden Cake
- 1 box Betty Crocker™ SuperMoist™ devil's food cake mix
- Water, oil and eggs called for on cake mix box
- 1 container Betty Crocker™ Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting
- 1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 can (6.4 oz) Betty Crocker™ green decorating cake icing
- 8 to 12 PEEPS® marshmallow bunnies
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- Make cake as directed on box for 13x9-inch pan.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack until completely cooled, about 30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate frosting on top of cake; sprinkle with chocolate cookie crumbs.
- Use green icing to make garden rows, using photo as guide.
- Insert toothpick halfway into base of each PEEPS® marshmallow bunny.
- Insert bunnies, toothpick side down, into cake.
- Use orange and green icings to make carrots on cake, using photo as a guide.
- Cut into 4 rows by 3 rows to serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Betty Crocker.