On a day where everybody is Irish, of course we are going to have corned beef, cabbage and potatoes. However, this braised brisket recipe is sure to make you green with envy! Our dessert was mint chocolate chip cookies that were as green as the Emerald Isle! A feast this plentiful, was sure to have made St. Patrick proud. Sláinte, in other words "Cheers!”
Try your luck with the recipes below!
Braised Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 (5 pound) flat-cut corned beef brisket
- 1 tablespoon browning sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Discard any flavoring packet from corned beef. Brush brisket with browning sauce on both sides. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown brisket on both sides in the hot oil, 5 to 8 minutes per side.
- Place brisket on a rack set in a roasting pan. Scatter onion and garlic slices over brisket and add water to roasting pan. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Roast in the preheated oven until meat is tender, about 6 hours.
Recipe courtesy of: All Recipes
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (or more to taste)
- about 10 drops of green food coloring
- 3 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 ounces dark chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line one or more baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, then beat on medium for about 2 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs + yolk, peppermint extract, and food coloring.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients and combine until the flour is not quite
Recipe courtesy of: The Food Charlaton